Saturday, September 4, 2010

I never would had said I was a fussy eater.....

.....well until came here to Asia that is.......
.... ok I know I don't do shell fish and I'm not good with bones, but out here, well sometimes you just never know what you are getting. However, in my quest to experience Singapore and Asia more fully I'm getting out there and rubbing shoulders with the locals and doing street food ..... or as close as Singapore gets to street food in nice clean Hawker Centers or Food Courts. I tried yummy a Nassi Lemak with green (the rice was green!) coconut rice and a wonderful spicy tembal on todays excursion, washed down with a cooling fresh Lemon juice - ok I'm a fussy eater avoiding the Pig Organ Soup, but at least I didn't stick to my favourite and stapel in a food crisis, Curry Puff (similar to a curried Cornish Pasty) although the name of the stall sounded rather appealing - Power Puff. I was aiming for Singaporean Chicken Rice but the queue was toooooo long - a good sign - but my stomach wanted feeding there and then.

On Palau Ubin Island a week or so ago we had a bizzare Lemon Chicken (my fellow diners enjoyed a plate of very fresh chilli prawns each). It was deep fried pieces of chicken served on what seemed like lemon curd - hmm, not what I was expecting at all - thank goodness for the Fried Rice and the Mee Gorang as they were the highlights of the meal. And then there was the great Gado Gado - a salad of steamed veg and boiled egg served with a peanut sauce, which I had in a shopping center Food Court recently - yum yum.

Don't worry I'm still getting in plenty of Western style food, but in this country obsessed about food I've decided I need to make more effort to try as much as I dare ..... I now have a food hit list which includes - Thunder tea Rice, Fried Carrot Cake (made with radish and not a carrot in sight) and Char Kway Teow (don't know what this is but its worth a try - I think).

No comments:

Post a Comment